11.10.2008

Of friends and spices...

You know that murky wasteland of the twenty-somethings, where you are no longer talking around the boxed wine and cheetos of the state of drunkenness of the previous weekend and who's relationship is in turmoil but around the dinner table discussing the state of the economy and who's job is in jeopardy? Well, I'm wading it it...up too my neck in it, to be precise.

Last week we had a dinner party with three other couples. [..and actually, the setting was not-too-different than a junior high dance - boys on one side of the table and girls on the other.]
So dinner's going along just fine [T made some delish chicken parm] when all of a sudden, C called the conversation to a screeching halt. She couldn't believe the context.
Since you, of course, weren't there, here's a snippet of it:
T: I haven't really bought much baking supplies, like spices. I was thinking I could just get one of those rotating 30-in-one things, like in Bed Bath and Beyond, right?
S: Yeah, those would be ok...but sometimes I like to buy as I go along, because some of those spices I would never use.
M: But then how are you going to organize them?
S: Nah, I'm alright for now, if I get a surplus, they have those little in-cabinet shelves you can put in, too.
M: Actually, I like the shelves that you have to hammer into the door. Great space savers.
.....SCREEEECCCHHHH

So that was just a precusor to this totally fantastic website I found today, helping women enjoy dinner parties and cooking together everywhere: http://www.cookingwithfriendsclub.com/
The site is so creative, so well-organized! It celebrates camaraderie and cooking and...I just love it! I'm thinking about taking their "soup swap" idea and modifying it for the Holidays as a "cookie swap". How fun!

No comments: